After
Decorating

Bedroom [temporary] makeover

1st floor was
Floor plan of how the bedroom was

While doing up the rest of the house I decided to create a calm space in the master bedroom with a simple temporary makeover, I say temporary as it will be awhile before we decorate it properly.
First we tackled our wardrobes, when we first moved into our house (6 years ago) we were both on much lower paid jobs and like most people in Scotland, the monthly mortgage payment when we first took it out was consuming most of it. Also every room in our house was freshly painted and all the flooring was brand new so we just went with it and tried to match our colour schemes to it at the time.
Before

So as a result we never decorated anything and the wardrobes we got, were simply shells. In short, the doors were a bit out of our price range at the time so we went to the local DIY store and got curtains to cover the front of our wardrobe carcasses instead. We bought chocolate and cream coloured curtains to match the brown bedroom carpet.
Before

Also when you were making the bed, the draft from shaking the duvet would cause them to fall down, eventually they began to fray at the top. That was when we decided enough was enough.

After

So we went back to the shop and finally bought the doors we wanted. Plain white sliding doors in the same range so we knew even although it was several years after we first purchased the carcasses, that they would fit.

Before
Old chest of drawers
Before
Old chest of drawers

As we were decorating other rooms in the house plus our washing machine had just needed replacing, I decided not to decorate the bedroom, but instead give it a cheaper makover. We had bought the flat packed furniture when we bought the wardrobe doors, but didn’t build them up since the old furniture was still in there. We were moving each of our chest of drawers into our daughter and sons bedrooms once they were fully decorated and freecycling their old ones, so that space got freed up quickly.
Our bedroom before

Before
Bedroom door
Before
Built in cupboards
Before
My wardrobe
Before
New bed, with our old bedding
After
Before the makeover

We had recently bought our new ottoman bed and mattress which was a standard size double to replace our way too large European double. Now we could actually walk around the bed, whereas before we really struggled and the bed had a kind of lip all the way around it which I kept banging my shins off of (so glad that bed has gone to a new home). We had moved from an old tenement building (built in 1900) with a much larger bedroom so the bed had been purchased originally with the old house in mind. Our current house (built in the 1950’s) has smaller bedrooms and are an usual shape with chimney breast walls. I’m sure you can see from the pictures (kind of) our bedroom is an L-shape with doors that can’t be covered if we want to use the storage space.
Our bedroom after
After

After

After

After
It felt better afterwards to get rid of all the things in our bedroom we weren’t using and didn’t need (the joys of freecycling). Instead of having the chest of drawers against the outside wall, I decided to move it against the bed so we could see the TV better as it was only a small 20″ portable one (this has since changed and we purchased a 32″ one). Over the space of 3 months I had slowly been throwing out our old bedding and replacing each set with one with grey tones as our bedroom will (eventually) be decorated grey, with new carpet to boot.
After

After
Wardrobes after. I decided since our carcasses were only 35cm in depth, that wasn’t enough room to get normal sized coat hanger in sideways, so I changed the rails from front to back and there was enough room to get 2 coat hangers in side by side, so I put 2 hanging rails in my wardrobe going front to back. I put 2 rails on each shelf of the other wardrobe but as that carcass was a little shorter in width I turned two round from left to right, one for hanging ties and the other for belts. I was pleased that it seemed to work better.

1st_floor_now
Floor plan of how it is now

The only thing we added after this was (as you can see from the floor plan) was another 3 drawer chest in front of the window near the built in cupboards.
If this post gives at least one person an idea for their own project, then it has served it’s purpose 😀
Feel free to give your comments below and let me know about your own projects – I love hearing about those!